EKS


I love my clothes black and simple. Same rule applies to underwear.
When I found the brand EKS on Instagram  I immediately fell in love.
I got the chance to shoot (and wear in private) already two beautiful sets by this brand.
The summer collection was a dream come true for me. Exactly what I love most in my summer clothes.
Unfortunatelly the pandemic affected  international shipping and I got the pieces too late to wear them outside. 
But at least I'll look hella goood at home ;)

Here's a little interview I did with the brand's designer, Melissa...

Tell me something about you and how you got into fashion. 

I was born in 1984 and my interest in fashion began at a very young age. I remember being 3 or 4 and wearing multiple slouch socks coordinated with my outfit. (lol) Life took me into a different direction initially, and I studied theater & costuming at university. I have lived in New Orleans for 14 years, and the costuming culture is very fierce, so while I didn’t start a brand until a couple of years ago, I was always participating in the parading and costuming culture of my city. I started my brand because for the avant-garde/conceptual style clothing I like to wear, I was never able to find the appropriate undergarments. That’s how EKS was born. 

Where do you draw inspiration from? 

I am sort of obsessed with brutalist architecture and the spomeniks of the Balkan region. I also draw a lot of inspiration from musical influences: I love the avantgarde classical music of Penderecki and Ligetti, as well as industrial noise musicians Einstürzende Neubauten, Throbbing Gristle; I love opera and musicians like Diamonda Galas, anything experimental. In my current collection “Interlude”, all of my pieces are named after some of my favorite opera singers or characters and experimental musicians - I’m very drawn to the stylistically dramatic 

What it’s like to be a designer in your country? What is the market like? Do the current problems in America affect you as a designer? 

America is very competitive. I try to filter out all of the noise and focus on my own work. Shipping & receiving supplies has been a challenge in the last six months so I feel like I’m having to think further ahead than I have in the past to fulfill orders. I am also very concerned with the upcoming election that may fuel further political unrest and how that will continue to affect the economy. 

What is your relation with other designers? Anyone you’d recommend? Are there any good places to find/shop local designers? 

I have started a local organization New Orleans Independent Fashion - a place for fashion innovation inclusive along all spectrums. I love local designers Howlpop & House of Calamity - I feel there aren’t so many places that focus specifically on local designers which was why I started the org - as a way to showcase & sell work as well as create community with local designers I love to support and promote other people's work Is your country the place where you sell you work or are you focused on foreign market? Is there a country or city that you think would be the perfect place for you and your brand? My work is very urban and I hope to sell in Europe & Asia - and I feel I have the best response from people living in liberal, urban centers 

How does the COVID-19 situation affect your work (both creativity and business wise)? 

I have both loved and hated the COVID-19 situation - for one thing it has been positive in that there hasn’t been anything else to focus on but my work, which has been a godsend in a way (as a new independent designer that self-funds this project, prior to this I was juggling many responsibilities that can no longer operate due to the pandemic) - however receiving supplies & shipping has been frustrating to navigate. I was initially a little worried about trying to sell non-essential items during this, however I’m pushing my fears aside and going for it right now - it seems everyone needs a little distraction and what better distraction than lingerie?! 

Most designers have been forced to showcase and sell their fashion only via internet. What's your opinion on this? Do you see social media helpful in your business or you prefer the oldschool face to face contact with your customers? 

I did not focus on sales in the past six months at all, however now that I have a new collection I am selling, I’m ready to dive into the world of internet sales full blast. I do prefer face-to-face sales, I love connecting with my customers and meeting new people. I traveled to Paris in January 2019 to check out the trade shows and would love to sell my work that way eventually. The situation is what it is, and I can’t do anything about that but try my best to connect with people in whatever way possible. 

Where do you want to get and what do you want to achieve with your brand? 

I want to stay a small independent brand but hope to reach a wider audience - there are a few showrooms in Paris and NYC that I would LOVE to work with when the time is right 

How does the opposition of artistic satisfaction vs. commercial success affect your work? 

I align politically with anarchist movements and am fiercely anti-capitalist, so creativity is my main focus. 

Do you ever feel limited by the customers’ (and the fashion industry in general) opinions, needs and fears? Do you consider yourself a rule-breaker or you prefer to keep it safe? 

I consider myself a rule breaker however I want people to actually wear my pieces, so confidence in wearing my garments is key. I do want to challenge the attitude about what is feminine. I definitely want feedback on fit and function of a piece and will acquiesce to the needs of my fanbase where appropriate. Since I primarily design undergarments for women, taking their fears and needs into consideration when approaching design is very important.