SEELO

Today I want to introduce you to a very interesting jewellery designer based in Berlin. 

There are so many designers in this city that it's more and more diffcult to stand out. But I really think Shimrit managed to create her own style combining the softness and femininity of macrame with the roughness of industrial elements.


Tell me something about yourself. How did you get into fashion?

My name is Shimrit; I am 33 years old from Israel.

As a child I had a natural passion for ink and I would sketch and draw for hours. I would fill up pages with imaginary creatures and worlds.

But in Israel there is limited space for artists and where I came from it was important to be practical, so I was. After my military service I studied B.sc in Industrial Engineering which gave me a practical view.

After completing my studies I chose to go into the fashion industry and worked as a commercial manager for a fashion brand.

I learned so much about how to manage this fast business from a commercial point of view. Deep inside I was just waiting for the few creative moments with the products but the main activity always revolved the big bottom line – money.

I was living a hectic and repetitive routine that consisted of work-hard play-hard loops. And I was unfulfilled.

As I reached 30, I had a strong calling to give a different meaning to my life and search for a new direction. I had no clue what it is that I am about to do but I knew I had to make a leap of faith.

All I had was a voice telling me that the answer lies in my hands. I had a strong passion for fashion, the kind of fashion you accessorize with, big, bold, statement maker. So I embarked on my journey. I left my job and life and went traveling. I spent some time in India and made the journey back to myself. My creativity started awakening after many years of being dormant. Then Seelo was born and I decided to move to Berlin....


Where do you draw inspiration from? 

I always loved strong and rough aesthetics. I draw my inspirations from the urban industrial landscapes of the city and the unique texture of people.

One of the things I love most about what I do is this strong feeling it gives who ever wears my creations. I am grateful to be able to convey this feeling through my creations and out to the world.


What it’s like to be a designer in Israel? What is the market like? What is your relation with other designers? Anyone you’d recommend? 

Israel is a beautiful and intense little country and it is home to many talented and diverse designers. Since it’s so small the competition is big and makes it challenging for designers. I appreciate the Israeli market because it’s so bold and daring.

One of my favorite fashion designers in Israel is Keke. She designs unique patterns, some oversized yet sexy and powerful. Keke is constantly evolving and perusing her passion, which are admirable qualities and challenging in a place like Israel.


How does the COVID-19 situation affect your work (both creativity and business wise)? 

Most designers have been forced to showcase and sell their fashion only via internet. What's your opinion on this? Do you see social media helpful in your business or you prefer the oldschool face to face contact with your customers?

The COVID-19 reality is one of the most interesting times so far. Like many other designers and artists I flourished and felt super creative. I didn’t have many dull moments. Since Seelo was born I had the wish to sell online, so it only supported this idea.


Where do you want to get and what do you want to achieve with your brand?

Working with my hands gives me great satisfaction and is a key to creativity for me. So the ideal picture of the future for me is to keep creating, keep growing and help others grow. I believe that all the rest will arrive naturally.


How does the opposition of artistic satisfaction vs. commercial success affect your work?

Do you ever feel limited by the customers’ (and the fashion industry in general) opinions, needs and fears? 

Commercial considerations can be limiting, but I believe that it can also be a fertile ground for creativity. Like everything, it is a matter of perspective.

So sure, I give place for the needs of my customers but I always allow myself to fly and follow my own voice which is, for me, the bottom line.